ZEPHYR

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
madaz

ZEPHYR

Post by madaz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:51 pm

44c

ZEPHYR

Post by 44c » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:31 pm

You're making great progress, Tony. I better get off my backside!

northerncat

ZEPHYR

Post by northerncat » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:25 pm

those beams dont look like they pick up much of the hulls tony?

sean

madaz

ZEPHYR

Post by madaz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:35 am

main compression beam guts..

Beam seated in hull.

The beams are made of 31 x 114mm timber struts, with 31 x 114 top and bottom flanges, they are closed in with 18mm ply sides, to the outer edges of the flanges then 150 x 19mm timber caps are run across the top and bottom of the beam. then they are glassed with two layers.

The beam seat shows the aft beam sitting in position, (the main compression beam shown in the earlier pictures mounts the same way) the aft beam beam runs the full width of the hull at that point which is just over 1800mm. (the main compression beam runs about halfway in) the bulkhead (aft of the aft beam) is doubled with 12mm ply making a 21mm thick bulkhead glassed into the hull. Forward of the bulkhead is another gusset (basically the top half of a bulkhead, made out of 18mm ply and glassed around the hull insides down to one stringer below the sheer strake. The main compression beams gusset is aft of the frame but runs right down to the bilge.

The base of the seats is a timber/ply structure about 40mm thick. the beam fits in with 3-4mm clearance and is set in epoxy glue across the entire width, up both sides and the bottom, forming a glue join about 1.8mtr x 1.3 mtr on each beam end, good luck ever trying to get it out :lol:

There are 5 beams in total on the boat, only two are in place in the earlier picture. Between these two is where the bridgedeck cabin is built. Cleats have been glassed onto the base of the pods, the floor is then glassed into place sitting on top of the cleats, there is another 12mm panel glassed onto the front of the main compression beam which runs just below it and meets the floor riser panel, there is also a 12mm panel glued and glassed onto the back of the aft beam which runs down and meets the bridgedeck floor and glued all the way along. then there are also seats to be glassed in both sides onto the inside walls of the hulls, the brideck floor and the beams, plus all the bridedeck structure above.

I will take another couple of photos when i put the floor in place which should be in the next few days, but they all start tying in together.

i have spent the whole day glassing the under side of the bridgedeck floor which is out of the boat and the right way up but still and absolute b/stard to glass with all the bracing running fore and aft and across ways. ( i couldnt imagine trying to do it upside down) i will hopefully sand a bit and paint the undercoat tomorrow and put it in the next day.

madaz

ZEPHYR

Post by madaz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:38 am

Main compression beam, park a truck on it, it wouldnt hurt it

madaz

ZEPHYR

Post by madaz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:39 am

the one above is the aft beam, a bit longer

madaz

ZEPHYR

Post by madaz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:56 am

Standing at floor level, full standing head room and then some,

Beam glassed in, cleats attached along pod base for the floor. in the fore ground is Archie, my assistant who thought the coast was clear and was escaping with a roll of masking tape. He also helped today by walking onto the half set glass on the base of the floor then stood there lookign stupid wondering why his feet were stuck.. :roll:

This picture shows the 12mm panel has been glued onto the front of the main copression beam. the riser panel is also glued in place. the main part of the bridge deck floor is on the floor behind me, it is bottom side up, the side i just glassed today, this slides in to the cleats and is glassed into place. This is taken last week when the godfather himself, Mike Waller came and paid a visit all the way from QLD, he was also seeing his parents and some other builders here

madaz

ZEPHYR

Post by madaz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:58 am

nice photo taken mid blink by my wife.

northerncat

ZEPHYR

Post by northerncat » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:01 am

what do you mean the godfather isnt he peter snell?? 8) how come you built the waller over an easy out of interest

sean

madaz

ZEPHYR

Post by madaz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:45 am

mini keel side on

mini keel from top, sweet shape... 8)